Sep 26, 2011

Framed!

And for once I am not referring to pictures :) ha ha haaa
Just picture Frames!
Minus the pictures...

Last week I had a MUCH needed girls night and my awesome friend Tonii came over. We did what girls do best.  Talked and made crafts!
She made the cutest Halloween fabric tutu, check it out here!

I have run out of money for paint :( It's sad I know. LOL  My master bedroom has been making me crazy with it's boring white walls. So I decided it was time to get some things hung up! I stare at them. LOTS.    Trying to figure out exactly what I want the room to become in the end. And I finally figured it all out.  I have TONS more to do for it, but at least this is a start!

Here is the project:
Photobucket

I started out with some white frames and painted them black:
Photobucket

The I found background fabric and hot glued it to the backing for the frames:
(I cut a 2 inch overlap on each side and only glued the backside.  Do not glue the front side down or you will  will have lumps. Make sure to pull the fabric tight!)
Photobucket

I had chosen 2 different fabric types to make the flowers, and keep in mind I had no plan for these flowers. I just made it up as I went :)

The first flower, and my favorite! Used organza. I cut it into strips, 3 different widths so it wouldn't be super uniform. Then I folded the strips into the size I would want the flower petals to be:
Photobucket
Then I cute out the petal shapes:
Photobucket
These are the 3 sizes I ended up with:
Photobucket
To start the flower, I took a petal, folded it in half and then pinched it in the center to make it curl inward:
Photobucket
Then ran a needle and thread through it:
Photobucket
I continued to do this to build the whole flower, just pinchign and adding it on and sewing through it:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Once I got the flower to the size I wanted, I took the very center petal and folded it inward to make the center and sewed it in:
Photobucket

TA DA!!!
Photobucket
I actually forgot to take pics as I went for this tutorial, but I made another organza flower for a pillow I am making :) 
Here is what the other two flowers look like!
Photobucket
For the other two flowers, this is really similar to what I did:
http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2010/03/blog-post-3.html

 The final frames!
Photobucket

I am LOVING my corner in my room now!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Suzi Q said...

SUPER CUTE!How do you have time to do crafts when you are a mother of 4!?!

Tonii said...

Holls, these are so fabulous!! I am so glad you posted a tutorial on the blue flower...I must make one soon. I love ya and am so glad to have you as my crafting buddy...when should we do it again??